Tag: Lordship Lane

Minutes of Tower Gardens Residents Group meeting: 13 March 2018

Minutes

13 March 2018 at Larkspur Close Meeting Room
Apologies: Philippa, Fiona, Chiara
Present: Mary (Chair), Friedrich (Vice chair), Matthew (Secretary), Karen (Treasurer), Zoe, Claudia, Ruth, Colette, Kata; Cllrs Adje, Bull and Stennett

There was a general discussion about the upcoming council elections and the fact that many councillors would be changing portfolio after that date.

1. Rubbish, fly tipping, Veolia collections etc.
There was no residential collection during the recent snow week, leading to widespread problems with overflowing bins etc. The lack of take up of brown bins for green waste in Tottenham was discussed. We think most people in N17 will not pay for the service, leading to further fly tipping and burning.
We also talked about street sweeping and how this is much more effective if it is done after the bins are emptied. Also it was pointed out that side streets within 50m of Lordship Lane should be swept every day. Also some of these streets would benefit from street bins, as most people will not walk any distance to put something in a bin.
We also raised again the subject of the bins on the street in Lordship Lane, which have been a problem here for years. ACTION – Gideon to update. We also drew attention to the awful bin for the flats at 1-2 Westbury Court which have been overflowing for weeks, next to a restaurant.
Action: Matthew to write to the council chief executive and environment member, and cc local councillors.

2. Street name plates
Cast iron ones date from the creation of the conservation area. Some are missing – how to replace? Ruth to see if Zena Brabazon has information about this. It would be useful to make a list of the missing name plates.

3. Potholes
These are numerous and can be reported via the Haringey app. For those who do not have app, look for My Haringey app on the app store on your phone. We decided in January to have a look for all the potholes and report them.

4. Street Trees
Matthew had been told by Alex Fraser, LBH Tree manager, that the trees we wanted would be planted this season, but this has not happened. Matthew to write again and cc councillors.

5. Conservation area issues
Some velux windows are cropping up to the front elevation which is not allowed. Dormer windows are not allowed front or rear.
People should email planning.enforcement@haringey.gov.uk to report them. ACTION – Gideon to look into what housing associations own property on the estate, as they are involved in many renovations.
Conservation Area anniversary – the 50th anniversary was actually in 2017, so unlikely LBH will be doing events in connection with it this year. New conservation area guidelines for Tower Gardens are due to be published by LBH later this year.

6. Parking
There is an abandoned caravan on Risley Avenue. ACTION: Gideon to investigate.

7. State of 100 Tower Gardens Road
<https://maps.google.com/?q=100+Tower+Gardens+Road&entry=gmail&source=g> This is a shambles. Notice board is totally vandalised. Can residents group have new notice boards on the estate, in a nice tasteful colour like black, that we can have access to?

8. Major Lordship Lane development
A development management forum was held for this, re a new building to replace Westbury Court. We did not think a planning app had been submitted, but following the meeting we found that it has. Matthew has commented on the application online on 14 March, stating our concerns that the building is too large, and mentioning the unsafe road crossings at this junction.

9. Future Dates:
3 May – Local Elections
15 May – next TGRG meeting
7 July – Matthew’s garden open for National Garden Scheme
15-16 September – Ruth organises Open House Weekend for the Estate

Minutes of Tower Gardens Residents Group meeting: 20 June 2017

Minutes

Present:

Mary (Chair), Matthew (Sec), Karen (Treasurer), Friedrich (VC), Chaira, Collette, Claudia, Joan, Fiona, Zoe, Cllrs Bull and Stennett, and Pauline and Sam representing Police.

Apologies including Cllr Adje

Polling Station

The Haven Day Centre has closed so when the General Election was announced there was no polling station ready. Larkspur Close Meeting Room was the alternative found by the Council. However signage was poor and it is not convenient for many people, affecting voting. Cllrs have made this clear to council officer

Roundway and Lordship Lane N17 crossing

TFL have said that the cost of making this junction safe for residents is about £1m. A document detailing the danger to pedestrians has been sent to the council again. It was suggested that we all view www.crashmap.co.uk which shows how many accidents happen at this junction – the answer is lots and lots. The residents group calls on the council to work with TFL to invest in this junction

Lordship Lane bins

Council officers have now prepared a plan to move bins from the pavement to residents’ front gardens. This will involve loss of some hedging between properties, but not fronting the road. Overall the appearance and safety of the road should be improved enormously. The meeting is very glad that the council is taking action on this.

Bike racing

Residents have been annoyed recently by people racing mopeds around the estate particularly late in the evening. This has affected Risley and Waltheof Ave in particular. Police ask that residents try and get licence plate numbers if possible, but take account of their own safety first and foremost.

Selling off council housing

WHL councillors voted against the Council’s plan to enter an agreement with Lend Lease to build new homes. Residents are worried about the disposal of public property and the extent of demolition of existing homes. We are not convinced that the plans are in the public interest and we are sceptical about the strategic direction and the properties that have been chosen.

Police Report

Pauline shared crime stats for a 12 week period for the Tower Gardens area. These are not considered particularly high but did include 20 thefts from motor vehicles and 4 burglaries. There is an upcoming plan to tackle fly tipping.

We also discussed Turnpike Lane area. This has improved since last year but the view is that anti social behaviour has been displaced further up Wood Green High Road. There have been 12 recent arrests for drug dealing.

There was some discussion about the removal of the bench and tree outside the station entrance. This now appears very bare, but the bench was a centre of anti social behaviour and the tree was destroyed by people cutting its bark off with knives. It is hoped that a replacement tree could be forthcoming.

Fly tipping and waste collection

We agreed that fly tipping and littering remain a major problem in the area.

We were very disappointed to hear that Veolia plans to stop free collections of green waste and of bulky items. In our view this will lead to more fly tipping and more burning of waste in people’s back gardens, which will challenge the Council’s carbon footprint plans. We think that more bins are needed. Councillors said they would let us know more information about the Veolia plans.

Next Meeting

We decided to hold the next meeting after the summer – during October.

Minutes of Tower Gardens Residents Group meeting: 11 November 2016

Minutes

Present: Mary Kalemkerian (Chair) Matthew Bradby (Sec) Karen Loasby (treasurer) Friedrich Ernst (vice chair).
Cllr Bull, Cllr Stennett, Cllr Adje, Pauline Syddell, Met Police.
Simon, FIona, Claudia, Ruth, Natalie, Collette.

1. Traffic

There has been a high incidence of speeding on the main roads around the estate and also speeding on mopeds within the estate itself.
Residents are recommended to phone the police non emergency number 101.
Action Matthew to draft letter to Joanne McCartney and David Lammy about pedestrian crossings over Lordship Lane and other traffic calming.

2. Crime

Pauline gave a list of the crimes that have been reported on the estate over the summer.
These are mainly car crimes and some burglaries.
Everyone is recommended to make sure there is nothing visible inside their car when parked.
Use timers for lights in the house and make sure all doors and windows are secure.

3. Anti-social behaviour

Police have stepped up action at Turnpike Lane station in the wake of summer shootings.
There are currently 10 dedicated officers combating drug and other crime, and new CCTV cameras.
Turnant Road continues to have antisocial behaviour problems, probably connected with the New Moon pub.

4. Littering and dumping

There is a problem with the entrance to the alleyway on Waltheof Ave, near the junction with Lordship Lane. The fence is in a terrible condition and there is often dumping there, and opposite it.
There is a continued severe problem with people keeping wheelie bins on Lordship Lane, and not putting rubbish in the right bin. There are piles of trash on the street all the time.
Action – Gideon is pursuing a long term solution to this issue which is a blight on this major road.

5. Ward budgets
We are waiting to hear further from the council tree officer regarding planting of new trees on the Roundway near the junction of Risley Ave.
There was discussion about further applications for more funding – the problem is identifying people with time to manage the process.

ENDS.

Date of next meeting – to be organised in the Spring.

Minutes of Tower Gardens Residents Group 2016 AGM

Minutes

Wednesday 22nd June 2016 at 7 pm
Meeting Room: Larkspur Close off Fryatt Road.

Present:

  • Mark Kalemkerian, Philippa Snoaden, Matthew Bradby, Friedrich Ernst, Gladys Nichols, Kathleen Nichols, Claudia Neil, Ava, Chaira Contrino, Colette Kirkbride, Philippa Snoaden, Sebastiao Schoning
  • Cllrs Anne Stennett, Charles Adje, Gideon Bull
  • Chris Bell from Homes for Haringey
  • Pauline Syddell – Met Police and PC James Fulton

Apologies – Ruth Crowley, Jennifer Kirk, Fiona.

Introductions

Last years’ minutes
These were circulated and agreed.
Accounts
These were circulated and agreed. It was noted that we had been successful in getting a £2000 grant from Haringey Council ward budgets – £1500 of this is for trees. Other money for website and also for community clean up.
Matthew will contact the Council about tree planting this autumn.
Matthew will contact Sarah Hayes from Cleanup UK to arrange a date for further clean up of the estate.
Elections
The following were elected as full committee members:
Mary Kalemkerian (Chair) Matthew Bradby (Sec) Karen Loasby (Treasurer) Friedrich Ernst (Vice Chair); other members Chaira Contrino, Claudia Neil, Philippa Snoaden, Colette Kirkbride.
Policing and antisocial behaviour
PC Fulton and Pauline Syddell gave an update on local news and also about Neighbourhood Watch.
Matthew reported that anti social behaviour at Turnpike Lane station had got worse recently; Pauline indicated that there would be new cameras and that police were aware.
Rubbish and collections
It was noted that Veolia had missed a lot of collections recently in Gospatrick Road; other areas have been alright. When collections are missed this leads to an increase in street dumping.
We recognised there were two issues – dumping by residents on the street, and fly tipping that may be by traders/landlords/construction jobs.
Everyone is encouraged to report missed collections, dumping and fly tipping.
Controlled parking and traffic
Some residents were experiencing problems parking outside their house – e.g. in Risley Avenue and Gospatrick Road. The process for extending a CPZ was discussed.
Residents are very concerned about traffic, particularly speeding on the Roundway and Lordship Lane, and the junction between them opposite Sainsburys. The Council has asked TFL to look at this but there is no funding for an additional crossing here. There is currently no safe crossing between north and south side of Lordship Lane anywhere near the junction.
Resolution: that this meeting is very concerned by traffic conditions, particularly speeding, on the Roundway and Lordship Lane junction and asks for traffic calming measures to be taken by relevant authorities.
AOB
We discussed having another clean up and celebratory event during the summer holidays.
This would focus on Waltheof Avenue and Waltheof Gardens.
Dates to be discussed. E.g. Morning of 23 July

The meeting concluded and Chris Bell gave Matthew relevant paperwork to complete for registration with the Council for the forthcoming year.

Tower Gardens on Facebook