Author: admin

Minutes of the TGRG meeting on 13 November 2023


Attendees: Friedrich, Fiona, Kim, Tanya, Kim, Valeria, Daniel
Councillor attending: Liam Carroll
Harringay representative: Brian Ellick


Attendees introduced themselves. Despite Veolia having confirmed they would send someone to the meeting, nobody from Veolia attended. [It has since been confirmed that the person due to attend forgot to come. She has offered to attend another TGRG meeting.]
Brian Ellick, Head of Anti-social Behaviour and Enforcement at Haringey attended the meeting and took questions throughout. Brian said he would speak to his contacts at Veolia about why nobody from Veolia had attended.


The problem of dumping outside 57 Gospatrick Road was discussed. Friedrich explained that since he had spoken to the dumpers, the problem hadn’t recurred. On that basis Brian said for the moment he wouldn’t take any further steps.
Other dumping hotspots in Tower Gardens were discussed, including 100 Tower Gardens and Turnant Road. Brian said he was familiar with the issues at Turnant Road.

Reporting dumping to Haringey

Brian explained how Haringey decides which areas to prioritise when it comes to policing fly-tipping. He said that the more issues are reported, whether online or via the ‘love clean streets’ app, the more resources will be directed to the area. So it is important to report instances of dumping to Haringey.
Brian explained that what is particularly valuable for his team is evidence showing that specific people have dumped in the same place on several occasions. If residents have this kind of information the best way to report it is by email to

Burning rubbish

The issue of burning rubbish was discussed. Brian explained that there are no laws against burning rubbish per se, but if burning causes a nuisance to neighbours, Haringey can get involved. Burning may cause a nuisance due to the smell, amount of smoke etc. Burning should not be allowed to affect neighbours’ enjoyment of their own properties.
Issues around the burning of rubbish can be reported on the Haringey website.

Rubbish collection

Issues around rubbish collection were discussed. Specifically, people complained that some residents keep their bins on pavements instead of in their front gardens.
Rubbish collectors also tend to leave the bins in the middle of the pavement, often with the lids open, so that if it rains they fill with water.
Brian said that issues to do with bins and rubbish collection should be raised directly with Veolia.

Autumn leaves

The fact that leaves are not being collected from some streets was discussed. On other streets, leaves are only cleared from one side of the road.

Next meeting

To be confirmed. Likely to be in the first few months of the new year.

Kind regards

Tower Gardens Residents Group

Minutes of the Tower Gardens Residents Group Meeting


16th October 2023

Venue: Chad Gordon Autism Campus, Waltheof Gardens

Present: Kim, Tanya, Pedros, Karen, Mary, Matthew, Fiona, Friedrich, Angie, Dan, Dayall, Collette, Kate, Owen.
Councillors attending: Anne Stennett, Liam Carroll
Apologies: apologies were received from several residents.

1) Welcome and introduction

2) Discharge of the Committee (including Treasurer’s Report) and election of Chair, Secretary, Treasurer

Karen Loasby (Treasurer, retiring) gave a financial summary. The bank balance at the start of the year was £1641 and at the end of the year it was £1513. The £128 expended has covered meeting room fees, bulbs for planting in public areas, and other expenses.

Fiona Stevenson was re-elected as Chair
Friedrich Ernst was elected as Treasurer
Dan Zwi was elected as Secretary

All votes were unanimous and thanks were given to the committee volunteers.

3) Minutes of last meeting

Matthew Bradby (Secretary, retiring) gave a verbal summary of the Minutes of the last meeting held on 14 June 2023. Karen volunteered to upload these to the Tower Gardens website –

4) Matters arising (unfinished business) –
Community Picnic in Tower Gardens was very successful, good partnership with IntoUniversity that lease the building from the Council. Public liability insurance for the park lasts until May 2024.
Spring bulb planting – this is planned for 10 am on 18 November, meet at the Waltheof Gardens roundabout.

Additional subjects raised by resident Ruth by email are listed below.

5) 100 Tower Gardens Road and Citizens Advice Bureau building
100 TG Road – the first floor is rented from the Council by the charity SureStart. The ground floor is vacant.
Citizens Advice Bureau (temporary building on Waltheof Gardens) – the ground around this is now in a dangerous condition.

The Council are undertaking a formal review of their local property portfolio. The meeting suggested that the Council review should be strategic and take most appropriate uses into account. There is a need for local retired people to have a place to meet and socialise.

6) Low Traffic Neighbourhoods – there was a lively discussion about the value of these in Haringey.

  1. AOB

Kate asked if people were welcoming trick or treat visits on Hallowe’en – it is hoped to produce a Google Map for residents.

Crossovers – parking in front gardens in Gospatrick Road – e.g. number 6 and various house numbers between 40-50 near the Roundway. The Council has written to at least one property asking them to desist. Residents feel strongly that front garden parking is very negative for the area and more should be done to stop this occurring.

Issues raised on emails from residents, which were briefly discussed:

Update from Friends of Park re Park Entrance works. Awaiting planning document re planting.
Update from Open House. Successful day. A local resident whom is also an architect provided a guided walk.
Update re drugs users in the estate area. Some properties are known to the police and attracting similar persons to the estate.
Dumping – ongoing issues. Unclear what deterrents other than fines
Update from neighbourhood management requested re status on Veolia re green area maintenance and weeds on streets.
Council update re structural concerns due to lack of maintenance: 1 housing property in Risley Avenue, wall surrounding park, Rear of Rose Supermarket.

Next Meeting

It is planned to hold this in the week of 13 November, focused on fly tipping. Veolia to be invited, perhaps combined with a walkabout on the estate to visit hotspots/residents.

Minutes of the Tower Gardens Residents Group Tuesday 14th June 2023


Tuesday 14th June 2023 7 pm Larkspur Close Meeting Room  

Attended by residents, elected committee, and Cllr Ahmed Mahbub
Present: Stephen, Anna, Jace, Colleen, Rohilla, Tanya, Miteh and Leanne, Claudia, Kate, Fiona, Matthew, Valeria, Friedrich, Ruth 

1.     Introductions  

2.     Update from police/neighbourhood watch – police are not attending residents group meetings currently in White Hart Lane, despite our efforts. If you have crime issues to raise, please let Friedrich Ernst know, as he’s attending the Ward Panel meeting on 22 June.  

3.     Update on Councillor Bull’s outstanding work. We discussed these cases, some of which have gone back 20 years. We now understand that there isn’t a separate list for these cases, and no central record of them. There was no handover so all these issues must be raised again/anew in the hope that there is a record of them with LBH staff members/teams.  

4.     Update from Ward Councillor Cllr Ahmed Mahbub Cllr Walkabout – there was a walkabout last week to look at specific instances including subsiding buildings, hedges, fly tipping.  

5.     Privet hedges – these are out of control in many cases and the council is working on a strategy to deal with this, for aesthetic and crime control, safety and pedestrian reasons.  

6.     Parking on public green space – this continues to be a problem particularly at the public green at the corner of Henningham Road and Waltheof Ave. New railings/posts would prevent this.  

7.     100 Tower Gardens Road – this is not being leased by the Council but it appears to have occupants who may be squatters. The building should be brought back into public use for LBH and the local community.  

8.     WEE – the Council will soon start free collections of waste electrical equipment (WEE). Further info to follow.  

9.     Dumping and update on camera request for Turnant Road – Ruth/Cllr Stennett. There is a large burden of proof needed, in order to obtain a camera as these are in short supply. Ruth is liaising by email.  

10. Further discussion about fly tipping – view that the neighbourhood resembles a ‘pigsty’ and wondering how much it costs to collect the daily dumps on all roads in the area. Friedrich has helpfully put up a sign in Gospatrick Road and maybe more signs will help – easier than installing cameras. We need to change local culture which says dumping is alright.  

11. Potholes and pathways – Risley Avenue and Waltheof Avenue – suggested to report the potholes using the mobile phone app and log them. Action: Cllr Mahbub to update on LBH potholes plan.   

12. Pathways – the brick pathways around public green space, e.g. in Risley – these are not maintained. They must be Council property so can they look into this?  

13. Risley Avenue Park entrance – update from Ruth – this project is ongoing to rectify poor quality design and planting.  

14. Tim update – Tim arrived late at the meeting and attempted to gain admission but this was refused by the Committee. It was explained to Tim via a window that his behaviour is rude and threatening and he left. A further discussion concluded with the request that a LBH form be circulated on which any instances of anti-social behaviour are recorded, and forwarded to Chris Patterson, LBH. Action: Secretary to forward this form. They can be returned to the Secretary, or directly to Chris Patterson.  

15. Friends of Tower Gardens Park – picnic on 24th June – an excellent flyer was distributed. Please come along to the event on 24th, 12 midday to 4 pm. 

16. Open House Sunday 17th Sept – organised by Ruth – please support!  

17. Noise nuisance – discussion of a very noisy party last Sunday in Risley Avenue and other similar events that go on very late at night. Recommended to phone 101 (police non-urgent number) and report via the Council’s antisocial behaviour unit.  

18. Illegal pavement crossovers in Gospatrick Road – information was passed to Cllr Mahbub for investigation by LBH.  

19. Low Traffic Neighbourhoods – there was a lively discussion and many views were put forward about the effects of the LTNs and their implementation which was sudden and with limited prior consultation. The experiment is continuing and evaluation is taking place.  

Minutes of Tower Gardens Residents Group meeting: 14th January 2020


TGRG 14th January 2020

Larkspur Close Meeting Room

Attending: Mary (Chair), Friedrich (Vice chair) Matthew (Sec), Tania, Thea, Chiara, Cllr Adje, Cat, Christiane, Stuart, George, Petros, Manos, Ava, Fiona, Claudia, PC Louis Pope

Apologies Cllr Stennett and Cllr Bull, Pauline Syddell

Police Update

Recent statistics were circulated by PC Pope. He showed that the TG area is not higher than other Tottenham areas. The highest Tottenham areas for crime are those near the High Road. Tottenham is overall worse for crime stats than the west of Haringey.

Drug use continues in and near Tower Gardens Park.

30 December an explosion occurred in the park due to substances being ignited.

Always report crime via phone, email or website so that statistics can be properly gathered and crime levels reported, so that we can get appropriate resources.

Leave lights on and keep hedges trimmed to reduce risk of burglaries. 

Cllr Adje

Boundary Commission – Ward boundaries in Haringey will be changing and this will affect us for the first time in the 2022 elections.

Consultation on the Council’s budget is open (until 19th Jan).

555 White Hart Lane – Council is working with the company Segro PLC to ensure high quality new commercial development

White Hart Lane/Spurs – the Council is in dispute with Spurs regarding High Road West scheme and creation of pedestrian boulevard from WHL station to the stadium

There was a long discussion about parking and about off street parking. Matthew to forward details about some unauthorised crossovers/front garden parking. Major concerns about all the events at THFC and not having enough visitor parking permits. We are still awaiting decision re future CPZ.

Please follow @haringeycouncil on Twitter – a very good way to find out what is going on locally. Also Nextdoor is a good local forum.

There have been amendments to the Conservation Area rules – all households should have received information through the post. These don’t come into effect until year end.

Other issues

Friends of Tower Gardens Park – are there any volunteers who would like to help with this? Please contact Matthew or Karen. In the past year we have made a big difference. BIG thanks to Zoe Fudge for organisation and wishing her well in the future.

Tree planting – more trees are coming we hope – info forwarded separately.

There is severe flooding at the junction of the Roundway and Waltheof Gardens.

Speeding on the Roundway – this is a disgrace and all residents are fed up with it. People live in fear of crossing the road and also the junction at Lordship Lane. New cameras are being installed on the A10 but we need more traffic calming. TFL have apparently said that our roads are not dangerous enough for more works, but we regularly see people racing cars and bikes at all times of day and night.

Dates of future meetings

There was a discussion about this and it was decided to try and meet every TWO months. The next meeting was agreed for Tuesday 10th March. The meeting after that will probably be Tuesday 12th May.

Minutes of Tower Gardens Residents Group meeting: 5th March 2019


Present: Friedrich, Matthew, Thea, Stuart, Colette, Karen, Claudia, Ruth, Grace, Jo, Cllr Stennett and Cllr Adje

Apologies: Mary, Fiona, Cllr Bull, Zoe, Cllr Say.

Venue: Larkspur Close 7 pm

The meeting wished Mary, Fiona and Cllr Bull a full and swift recovery from recent accidents and ills.

  • Crime Update (provided by Met Police)

Signage in the park regarding CCTV – a meeting happened with Ian Kershaw on 2nd March about this.

Car break ins – a number of these were discussed. Someone also observed a person stashing a plasma screen TV in TG park.

Residents are encouraged to report all suspected crime.

  • Litter and Fly Tipping

This continues to be bad, though positive impact made thanks to Tidy Up Tottenham initiative on social media. If you see this happening try to remember number plates though do not confront people due to risk of personal injury.

  • Park Tidy Up 30th March – Friends of TG Park

£500 ward funding has been applied for the park. A new FB group for the Friends has been set up. Zoe also plans to leaflet around the park for those not on email groups.

  • Trees

We are paying the Council tree dept the £1500 we owe them for six trees planted on the Roundway, which are doing well. Council tree officer Alex Fraser has also said that Council will plant a tree on Waltheof Green in memory of Dick Tomlinson. Matthew also brought forward idea to plant some small trees in public green spaces without council funding.

  • Gates, Potholes, Skips

Reports have been made about these, please keep reporting problems via the Haringey App.

  • CPZs

Data is still being collated for the TG CPZ proposal, to replace the event day CPZ. We discussed the problem of vans and light trucks being parked on the estate – CPZ may reduce this.

Major concerns were voiced about the new Event Days starting at THFC as they are not all on the football club website – i.e. they are not all football league games. Residents demand that there be proper signage on all roads to stop people being caught out. The first event is on 24 March.

  • Low Flying Aircraft

There are concerns that they are polluting our air space. There are more aircraft flying over our area than previously. Especially the mournful sound of jumbo jets coming in to land first thing in the morning.

  • Crossing on Lordship Lane/Roundway jct

Despite years of negotiation, TFL have said that this crossing is not a priority. Residents are very disappointed that they have to run the gauntlet on a regular basis to get to the church, shops, park or tube station. The Council have been supportive but at the moment people are at risk and accidents are happening. What can be done? The impression is that TFL do not care about people living in low income areas. Perhaps this can be raised as part of the Council’s equality/fairness work.

Date of Next Meeting


Minutes of Tower Gardens Residents Group meeting: 16 October 2018


Present: Mary, Matthew, Friedrich, Claudia, Chris, Anna, Thea, Stuart, Ruth

Cllr Bull, Cllr Stennett

Pauline and Louis (Met Police)

Apologies: Zoe and Karen



Tower Gardens Park – discussion around policing, council and voluntary action to deter rough sleeping in the park. Up to seven people are known to be sleeping there at the present time, with problems including an aggressive dog, fires, litter and human waste. The meeting agreed that this situation is awful. The homeless people have been offered alternative accommodation by charity Homeless Link but have apparently declined.

Litter Pick – Saturday 27th October at 10 am Tower Gardens Park, Risley Ave entrance – Please Join Us!

Burglaries – four of the five known burglars are behind bars. There is a new service from a company called where you can connect a doorbell to your phone, so that you can answer it from any location.

Bins and Dumping – this is a huge problem – Gideon said the Labour Group in the Council knows it must work harder on this. There is a meeting for Neighbourhood Watch members on this issue, 1 November, 7pm at the Civic Centre in Wood Green. Please attend if you can. There is also a new Facebook group called Tidy Up Tottenham – please join and share pics. Also – please use the mobile phone app to report fly tipping, littering etc. Drugs caravans – there are various reports of different caravans in the area where people may live and engage in illegal activity. People should note details especially exact location to send to the Council — Enforcement Officer details below.
Conservation Officer

There is a new conservation officer called Elisabetta Tonazzi. Matthew has met her and will speak to her about the estate when he can.

Houses of Multiple Occupation

If you know any of these that you think are unauthorised, please pass specific information (i.e. address) on to the residents’ group or the Council.

Open House

Ruth reported this was a success despite the rain and over £100 was raised for charity.

Parking in Front Gardens

This is a big problem and will get worse once the football stadium is built. Please report to the Council. Enforcement officer is


Some residents have noticed increased numbers of planes over the estate including light aircraft. Gideon may be able to find out more, or suggested contact our MP David Lammy.

Dick Tomlinson – Memorial Tree

It was agreed to plant a tree on the estate in memory of Dick, the much respected late local resident and arboricultural officer who passed away recently. Matthew suggested a space near the roundabout at the top of Waltheof Ave. Matthew to contact Council tree dept to discuss. This is in addition to any other trees in Dick’s memory elsewhere in the borough.

Minutes of Tower Gardens Residents Group meeting: 24 July 2018


Tower Gardens Residents Group

Meeting 24 July 2018 at Larkspur Close Meeting Room.

Present: Mary (Chair) Friedrich (vice chair) Matthew (sec), Fiona, Larbi, Collette, Dick, John Brown, Stuart, Thea, Grace, Karen, Ruth, Claudette.
Police: Lucy, Hassan, Simon, Pauline
Cllr Gideon Bull

Summary of Matters Discussed: 

Condition of estate – concerns raised about overhanging trees, and other areas of neglect. Dick said that tree works were coming soon.

Crime – five known burglars are operating in the area and police are monitoring their activities. Action is also being taken against drug dealers on the estate. Dealers are known to police.
There are also problems with bikes being raced down Risley Avenue.
The unmarked caravan parked on Risley Ave has recently moved but there are concerns it is a centre for antisocial behaviour of various kinds.
If anyone would like to find out more about the ‘Smartwater’ please contact Pauline.

Waltheof Gardens – there are no plans to build houses or flats here. There is not enough space. There may be proposals to build new higher quality social/health facilities to replace the existing 4 buildings.

Notice boards on the estate – these have been vandalised beyond repair and the meeting believes they should be replaced.

Conservation issues – the breezeblock extension on Risley Ave jct with Siward Road is awful. The Council has refused retrospective consent as the building does not meet any standards.

2A Risley Avenue – this is an eyesore and cars are parked in the front garden.

Littering and fly tipping continues to be a problem, and there are persistent problems regarding the bins on Lordship Lane that have never been resolved. Re: Homes for Haringey properties.

Tower Gardens Park – Zoe has been instrumental in getting a new friends group together. A friends group is really useful as it can bid for funds. There is now a Facebook page. 

Trees – Matthew has received a street tree pack to help us celebrate the trees on the estate.
Dick has been working with youth centres to help raise tree seeds for future plantings. Important to help increase ecological and amenity value.

Website – Larbi Ernst is liaising with Karen about updating the site.

Open House – this will take place on Sunday 23 September

Date of Next Meeting – Tuesday 11 September

Minutes of Tower Gardens Residents Group meeting: 15 May 2018


Meeting of the Tower Gardens Residents Group

on Tuesday 15 May Larkspur Close Meeting Room


Mary (Chair), Matthew (Sec), Friedrich (Vice Chair), Fiona, Tom, Claudia, Thea, Dick Tomlinson, Zoe, Ruth. Apologies: Councillors, Chiara, Karen.

Meeting of the Tower Gardens Residents Group on Tuesday 15 May Larkspur Close Meeting Room


Mary (Chair), Matthew (Sec), Friedrich (Vice Chair), Fiona, Tom, Claudia, Thea, Dick Tomlinson, Zoe, Ruth. Apologies: Councillors, Chiara, Karen.

Crime and Antisocial behaviour

Drug dealing with white Audi car parked near the gates of Risley Ave allotments
Caravan parked on Risley Ave near jct with Waltheof Ave, apparently being used for dwelling.
Homeless men sleeping near Turnpike Lane and Wood Green stations – does the Council have staff who are able to help them?

Littering and fly tipping

The whole estate is covered in fly tipping and since the introduction of the charge for green waste bin this has also increased. Fewer than one in ten properties have the new bin.
There is also a lot of dumping at bins, e.g. Gospatrick Road, including food waste, on a daily basis.

Conservation Area Issues

Nairita, the Council’s conservation officer, is leaving to go to a new job. We are waiting for the publication of new Conservation Area Appraisal for Tower Gardens from the Council. Date unconfirmed at present. It is hoped this will reduce the home ‘improvements’ that contravene the guidelines.

Unsafe driving

There is much evidence of unsafe driving including many collisions on the Roundway, Westbury Ave and other local roads. We need more traffic calming measures including cameras and speed traps.


Cllr Ejiofor is the new leader, replacing Clare Kober.
Councillors asked to provide more information at the next meeting. The meeting congratulated our councillors on their re-election.

Tree Planting

The Council has planted six new trees that we requested on the western branch of the Roundway. Further funding is now available from the Greener City Fund with deadline of 18 June and Matthew has the paperwork.

Tower Gardens Park

This is quite overgrown and not well used and there is a fear of antisocial behaviour including drug dealing. There was a discussion about a need for a strategic review of the park. Dick Tomlinson said that the council was seeking funding to prune the large plane trees. Zoe presented the idea of a friends of the park group.

Upcoming Events

Matthew is opening his garden for the National Garden Scheme on Saturday 7 July.
Ruth is organising the Tower Gardens self guided tour as part of the London Open City/Open House weekend on 23 September.
Please keep an eye on the Tower Gardens Facebook page for updates.

Date of Next Meeting
Tuesday 3 July at 7 pm

Minutes of Tower Gardens Residents Group meeting: 13 March 2018


13 March 2018 at Larkspur Close Meeting Room
Apologies: Philippa, Fiona, Chiara
Present: Mary (Chair), Friedrich (Vice chair), Matthew (Secretary), Karen (Treasurer), Zoe, Claudia, Ruth, Colette, Kata; Cllrs Adje, Bull and Stennett

There was a general discussion about the upcoming council elections and the fact that many councillors would be changing portfolio after that date.

1. Rubbish, fly tipping, Veolia collections etc.
There was no residential collection during the recent snow week, leading to widespread problems with overflowing bins etc. The lack of take up of brown bins for green waste in Tottenham was discussed. We think most people in N17 will not pay for the service, leading to further fly tipping and burning.
We also talked about street sweeping and how this is much more effective if it is done after the bins are emptied. Also it was pointed out that side streets within 50m of Lordship Lane should be swept every day. Also some of these streets would benefit from street bins, as most people will not walk any distance to put something in a bin.
We also raised again the subject of the bins on the street in Lordship Lane, which have been a problem here for years. ACTION – Gideon to update. We also drew attention to the awful bin for the flats at 1-2 Westbury Court which have been overflowing for weeks, next to a restaurant.
Action: Matthew to write to the council chief executive and environment member, and cc local councillors.

2. Street name plates
Cast iron ones date from the creation of the conservation area. Some are missing – how to replace? Ruth to see if Zena Brabazon has information about this. It would be useful to make a list of the missing name plates.

3. Potholes
These are numerous and can be reported via the Haringey app. For those who do not have app, look for My Haringey app on the app store on your phone. We decided in January to have a look for all the potholes and report them.

4. Street Trees
Matthew had been told by Alex Fraser, LBH Tree manager, that the trees we wanted would be planted this season, but this has not happened. Matthew to write again and cc councillors.

5. Conservation area issues
Some velux windows are cropping up to the front elevation which is not allowed. Dormer windows are not allowed front or rear.
People should email to report them. ACTION – Gideon to look into what housing associations own property on the estate, as they are involved in many renovations.
Conservation Area anniversary – the 50th anniversary was actually in 2017, so unlikely LBH will be doing events in connection with it this year. New conservation area guidelines for Tower Gardens are due to be published by LBH later this year.

6. Parking
There is an abandoned caravan on Risley Avenue. ACTION: Gideon to investigate.

7. State of 100 Tower Gardens Road
<> This is a shambles. Notice board is totally vandalised. Can residents group have new notice boards on the estate, in a nice tasteful colour like black, that we can have access to?

8. Major Lordship Lane development
A development management forum was held for this, re a new building to replace Westbury Court. We did not think a planning app had been submitted, but following the meeting we found that it has. Matthew has commented on the application online on 14 March, stating our concerns that the building is too large, and mentioning the unsafe road crossings at this junction.

9. Future Dates:
3 May – Local Elections
15 May – next TGRG meeting
7 July – Matthew’s garden open for National Garden Scheme
15-16 September – Ruth organises Open House Weekend for the Estate

Minutes of Tower Gardens Residents Group meeting: 20 June 2017



Mary (Chair), Matthew (Sec), Karen (Treasurer), Friedrich (VC), Chaira, Collette, Claudia, Joan, Fiona, Zoe, Cllrs Bull and Stennett, and Pauline and Sam representing Police.

Apologies including Cllr Adje

Polling Station

The Haven Day Centre has closed so when the General Election was announced there was no polling station ready. Larkspur Close Meeting Room was the alternative found by the Council. However signage was poor and it is not convenient for many people, affecting voting. Cllrs have made this clear to council officer

Roundway and Lordship Lane N17 crossing

TFL have said that the cost of making this junction safe for residents is about £1m. A document detailing the danger to pedestrians has been sent to the council again. It was suggested that we all view which shows how many accidents happen at this junction – the answer is lots and lots. The residents group calls on the council to work with TFL to invest in this junction

Lordship Lane bins

Council officers have now prepared a plan to move bins from the pavement to residents’ front gardens. This will involve loss of some hedging between properties, but not fronting the road. Overall the appearance and safety of the road should be improved enormously. The meeting is very glad that the council is taking action on this.

Bike racing

Residents have been annoyed recently by people racing mopeds around the estate particularly late in the evening. This has affected Risley and Waltheof Ave in particular. Police ask that residents try and get licence plate numbers if possible, but take account of their own safety first and foremost.

Selling off council housing

WHL councillors voted against the Council’s plan to enter an agreement with Lend Lease to build new homes. Residents are worried about the disposal of public property and the extent of demolition of existing homes. We are not convinced that the plans are in the public interest and we are sceptical about the strategic direction and the properties that have been chosen.

Police Report

Pauline shared crime stats for a 12 week period for the Tower Gardens area. These are not considered particularly high but did include 20 thefts from motor vehicles and 4 burglaries. There is an upcoming plan to tackle fly tipping.

We also discussed Turnpike Lane area. This has improved since last year but the view is that anti social behaviour has been displaced further up Wood Green High Road. There have been 12 recent arrests for drug dealing.

There was some discussion about the removal of the bench and tree outside the station entrance. This now appears very bare, but the bench was a centre of anti social behaviour and the tree was destroyed by people cutting its bark off with knives. It is hoped that a replacement tree could be forthcoming.

Fly tipping and waste collection

We agreed that fly tipping and littering remain a major problem in the area.

We were very disappointed to hear that Veolia plans to stop free collections of green waste and of bulky items. In our view this will lead to more fly tipping and more burning of waste in people’s back gardens, which will challenge the Council’s carbon footprint plans. We think that more bins are needed. Councillors said they would let us know more information about the Veolia plans.

Next Meeting

We decided to hold the next meeting after the summer – during October.

  • 1
  • 2